Students in the Murray School District are expected to keep themselves well groomed and neatly dressed while at school or at school functions.
Clothing or grooming which is conspicuous, extreme or odd which may draw undue attention, distract or tend to interfere with the educational atmosphere at school will not be allowed. To help students meet the expectations, the following is expected:
- Students shall NOT wear clothing items, jewelry or accessories that.
- a. Contain messages or images which are vulgar, offensive, obscene, or libelous.
- b. Denigrate others on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation or disability.
- c. Promote alcohol, tobacco/nicotine, drug use or violence.
- d. Promote, support or display gang activity or affiliation.
- e. Are otherwise contrary to the school’s educational mission.
- Students must recognize that tight, brief and revealing clothing are NOT appropriate apparel in school. The following guidelines are examples and may not cover all situations.
- a. Students shall not wear tank tops, halter tops, garments with spaghetti straps, or strapless garments.
- b. Garments that are see-through, cut low, or expose one’s midriff (when hands are raised above the head), back, shoulders and cleavage are not acceptable. Any cuts/holes in the clothing may not expose these or other revealing areas.
- c. Sleeveless garments must extend to the end of the shoulders and fit closely under the arms.
- d. Short shorts, short skirts, and short dresses are prohibited
- e. Skirts, shorts, or skorts must not be excessively tight and when seated, must be closer to the knee than the hip.
- Students shall NOT wear pants that sag or fit below the waist.
- a. No baggy, slashed, cut, fringed or torn clothing will be allowed.
- b. Belts must be put through the loops and not hang down.
- Students shall NOT wear hats, visors, or bandanas inside the school building except for a medical or religious purpose.
- Students shall NOT wear jewelry which pose a risk to self or others.
- Ex: wrist or neck collars with spikes and chains of any length.
- Shoes must be worn at all times. Flip-flops, slippers, or other footwear that may cause injur are NOT allowed at elementary schools.
Please refer to the MURRAY SCHOOL DISTRICT STUDENT DRESS CODE POLICY.