Dear McMillan Teachers, Students and Parents
This year we at McMillan will be participating in a spelling bee. We have once again joined Scripps, the national spelling bee organization. We have access to all of the new online word lists and pronouncers guide.
The school spelling bee will be for grades 3-6. Prior to the school bee we will have classroom level spelling bees to determine finalists to be able to compete at the school bee. Each classroom in grades 3-6 will have two students move on to the school spelling bee. We will follow national spelling bee procedures to select a school finalist to move onto the district bee in February. The top spellers from the school will be allowed to advance to a district bee. The top two spellers from the school bee will be allowed to advance to a region bee.
In order to prepare for the spelling bee, it is recommended that you start studying NOW.
The official words allowed for the National Spelling Bee are any words found in Webster’s Dictionary. However, there are suggested words to study on the website created for this event.
To access the study word lists – please do the following:
- Log onto: murrayspellingbee.com
- Here you will find study words for all grades along with all of the words and guidelines for the bee.
- On the website you will find additional study words to prepare yourself or student for the competition.
Things to remember:
- This is a competition that goes to the district (and possibly region) level for grades 3-8. Students who plan on moving on to the district (and/or region) level should plan on studying extensively. This level of competition is competitive.
- We have chosen to participate at this level in order to provide opportunities to find success and achievement for the students.
- We hope that during this competition we will cheer each other on and find joy in the success of the students selected to move on! Whoever the winners are, they will represent our school and the pride that we have here at McMillan Elementary.
Also, although the younger grades are not eligible for the school spelling bee, we want to encourage them to participate in this type of competition. We will be having classroom bees for
each class grades 1-2 and will award first, second and third place of each class. Students in grades 1-2 should also be encouraged to study the words on the website listed above. We will also be having grade-wide bees for grades 1-2 to advance to. The top spellers from each class will be allowed to advance to the grade level final bee at school.
If you do not have access to the internet, a copy of suggested study words can be provided. However, we want to minimize paper copies for this event as much as possible, so please use the website to find the words if you do have internet access.
Classroom bees: January 8-24, 2020.
School spelling bee: January 31, 2020 @ 1:30 p.m.
We look forward to a great competition and wish you all the best of luck!